Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ulryden Warrior

Ulryden Warrior

Over the summer, the artists had their first directed focus studies class, our assignment being to combine hard surface and organic modeling into one model. After much searching, I ran across a few concepts by Jimmy Xu that interested me and I thought I would try to challenge myself to recreate it as much as possible. 

Art by Jimmy Xu

Since this was the first time I had ever done anything like this, I looked around for good reference in to how  to model this as cleanly as possible. The characters from Assassins Creed II, specifically the Brute, caught my eye as I thought the design and armor function was comparable.


I also found some good reference for how armor works, specifically how to tackle the gauntlets.




The final piece turned out really well and, I think, captured the spirit of the concept and its intended setting.


I learned a great deal from this project, which is I think the intended purpose. I am looking forward to the next semester to gauge how much I have grown as an artist.

Information about Jimmy Xu: